Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Optional equipment

Just a quick list of equipment I think would be great to have for the whole document-the-change and voyage thing.....

Drone Cameras: at least two plus parts

With the new top-of-the-line models not only do you get HD video, they can auto-home when batteries are low.  This would make for some spectacular shots while underway, as long as it could handle the wind.

Fixed cameras on board.

There are times when everyone will be busy doing the needed work aboard and nobody will be able to man a camera.  From what I have read, most people would like to see footage of how storms and rough seas are handled.  With a few fixed cameras and a DVR video server (which I already have) the entire experience would be captured for editing.  I have a few cameras, I would need to get a couple night vision ones as well.

A robust computer X 2 (or more)

Humidity plays havoc on electronics.  So does salt water.  I would think having a solid working machine for navigation/auto-pilot mapping that backed up every half hour (or so) to a remote drive would be good.  I think that a spare machine that would be powered down in a water tight case and mirrored to the active machine once a day would be good.  I'll have to read more about how others are doing the management of electronics.  My perspective is that of someone who has never done this.

Duplicate mission-critical electronics

Be it GPS or alternator, at least one back-up stowed safely away in a water tight box.  Electronic bits also in a Faraday cage.

Just 'cause.

Sextant and a proper chronograph.

A sextant because no amount of electronic interference will block out the sun or starts, and being able to use one properly is something I consider to be as valuable as being able to plan a series of dives using the dive wheel.  Technology is awesome; having the skill and knowledge to go without it makes a huge amount of practical sense to me.  I will not put myself in the position of having to cancel a voyage over a software glitch, or having to miss a departure window because solar activity made the GPS flaky.

(Besides, Capt Morgan looks better striking a pose with a sextant and not a smart phone!)


I'm sure there are other items that I do not know about yet that will be required or will make life that much better.  I am still at the stage of ignorant incompetence about much of cruising; meaning that I do not know what I don't know.  That will change as I start to study the needed skills.

For now, dumping stuff into the bin is the challenge.....

No comments:

Post a Comment