Monday, August 22, 2016

Monday, Monday....

What an off day today was.  I could hardly concentrate on anything.  Even got a call from the M4 tonight; a door wouldn't lock.  I headed over and got it working again, and that is two hours of overtime.  Which is good, because one of the brake pads on the new-to-us van let go sometime in the last couple of days.  There is the most awful sound of metal on metal, grinding and shuddering.  I knew the pads and rotors were going to need replacement, I had hoped they would have lasted a little longer though.  Ugh.

It still seems surreal to think of the world without my grandfather in it.  Not that I would expect to get over it all in a day.  I guess I am recognizing our family loss in the scope of the life of the society we live in.

This is happening every day.

Our elders are disappearing as we rise to take their place, as unqualified as we may feel to do so.  With our general lack of understanding about what the previous generations went through, I wonder if we will be able to avoid the mistakes they made.  I'm not talking about just the facts that the history books tell us, but about the real human hopes and fears that lead to those decisions that shape our world today.  It is only the stories and beliefs we remember from them that will be conveyed into the present or the future.  If we don't bother to learn and understand what they went through, then what will become of the lessons they learned?  We need to learn from the mistakes of others, for we will not have time to make them all ourselves.

I am late getting to bed tonight, with the call-back to work.  That leaves me four days to practice the assignments for the class this weekend.  At least I should be able to get to sleep before midnight.

The wind is blowing around the loose boards in the fence, clattering them like a large wind-chime.   I hear  a gate bang occasionally as the swirling air demands passage.  It should make for a nice cool night, though I might have to go out and latch that gate.  The banging is a little too abrupt!


No comments:

Post a Comment