Friday, August 5, 2016

Garage...

I unloaded the loose bits from the front of the car last night.  Sunglasses, old cutlery etc from the glove box.  Inverter from under the seat.  Old jam blister packs from the console space.  I think I'll leave the stereo in.  It would be nice to have out, but is it worth my time?  I would have to take apart most of the console and dash to remove it, then put it back together with the stock radio.

The bigger question would be, what do I need it for?  Wanting something and needing are two different things.  Really, a lot of what I have stored are things I want; not immediately useful but when needed invaluable.   But how many "just in case" scenarios do I need to be "ready" for?

So here is my plan.  I have boxes of papers (notes, course books etc.) that I don't really "need" since I'm not teaching anymore.  There are also several boxes of books on electricity, motor control, power electronics etc. that I don't use.  Is it good info?  Yes.  Do I need to make myself into a library?  No.  I am always reluctant to dispose of books though.  Being non-digital, they are not subject to solar flares or power bumps.  But they do take up a great deal of room and weigh a lot.

I had visions of opening the garage last night and emptying box after box into the big blue bin.  When I started opening the boxes, I found lots of bits an pieces of other things, not papers.  After four boxes I was discouraged, having only found one small stack to recycle.  I have a hard time throwing away useful things, even if I don't need them!  Which means I need to build a plan about who might need some of this stuff and start delivering it.

Blacksmith Bits:
I have assorted pieces of smithing gear; small forge, bucket of coal, chunks of iron (anvils and stock).
I had hoped that Radar (STALC) would have a smithing space set aside and I could gift it to her.  OF course now isn't a good time for that since it is the middle of the jousting season and she is run off her feet.

Books:
If I'm going to try to put together any kind of on-line course, I will need to set that up before pitching out the books.  I could be successful is such a venture if I don't do what everybody else is doing.  I could limit the class size to a couple people, charge more than pennies a lesson and make sure the students understand what is going on, not just know enough to pass the exam.  Question is, do I have the time to start such a thing?

Electrical bits:
Man, do I have a lot of bits and pieces!  From fixture bridges to breakers to other parts.  It is nice to have them hiding there, I know though that I have needed to access those bits maybe once in the last 10 years.  That is a lot of storage for limited use.  There are also lots of parts for cosplay "projects" that have never got off the ground.

Networking bits:
I have several little routers and hubs for a networking project that I never got done.  It was to get WIFI out to the barn and maybe over the hill at Radars.  I have the technical info I need, I just need a few more parts and to build the antennas and install the lot.  I think I wold still like to do this one.  It would give me some valuable experience in bodging networks together and extending wifi.

Dalek Parts:
The Dalek we built for the Expo is in the garage.  It needs repair and then finishing if we want to keep it or give it to someone.  I wold like to finish it so that Dana could roll around the hospital here for a day end entertain patients.  Then, maybe give it to the fellow who is working on his big wood one?  Let a comic store display it?  Something.  It would be nice if it were seen and enjoyed.

Old Tires:
The old snow tires from the van need to go into the old van so when we sell it they are gone.  Same with he tires for the car.  We need to swap wheels between the vans since the tires are better on the old one.  I can do that, it should only take a couple hours.  :-P  Then I need to get the ads out and get them gone!

Other than that, I might write the fellow who is offering training on Ghost Lake to see about getting the course material to study.

Running one generator today.  Only 2.2 megawatts.  ;-)  Five minutes left in the test.  Time to watch the shutdown and make sure everything is working correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment