Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Keepin' the Faith...

There was a little clip someone posted the other day, about Stephen Frys reaction to being asked what he would say to God when he got to the pearly gates.  It was a good clip, though many Christians I know would be horrified to hear me say it.

The YouTube clip is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

He makes some very compelling arguments, and few Christians have compelling answers.

Why do we not have answers?  Imagine if you will that you are in Rome back in the early days of the Church.  If the early church only had the arguments that most are using today, I can not understand why anyone would change over to the "new" religion.  But they did.  In large numbers.

I hear so many Christian simply say how it is because the "wise of the world see it as foolishness" and because "they are not called."

This is not an argument, this is a cop-out!  I think we are missing something very fundamental about our faith when our fall-back is that "they are not called" or "everything happens for a reason".  Neither of these are true or helpful to anyone.  I think we need to examine what it is we believe about God, ourselves and authority because if there is no other argument to be made, why would anyone come at all.

I have a few thoughts.

First, I think we have allowed ourselves to miss represent God and what He has said.  Second, I think we do not understand the responsibility that comes with the freedom we have.

Often we are taught (and tell others) that "God is in control" and that he is "in charge of everything that happens".  Really?  Think about that carefully.  If that is totally true, then no mater what I decide to do, it isn't my fault.  Hmm.  Part of us knows that isn't true.  Also, all the evil that happens must be because God wants it to happen!  I think you are beginning to see the issue now.  It is this conflict of training that (I believe) caused my dear Grandfather to leave the faith after/during the war.  He saw things that he wished he hadn't, and all he had been taught is that it must all be because "God wills it".  Does he really?  If we believe in a loving God, who is pure and Holy, then either He isn't who he says he is or our statement is false.  Ah, but how do we reconcile an all-powerful God with events that appear to be either out of His control or that He is allowing?  My theory is that we do not have a real grasp on our responsibilities as humans.

Remember the parable about the vineyard owner  who leaves managers in charge?  Remember how the managers abused and mishandled the envoys of the owner?  Tell me, what level of power were the managers given over the vineyard?  Well, they were in charge.  If they wanted they could have burned it to the ground.  That is the level of authority and freedom they were given.  Now step back to Genesis and notice that humans were left in the management position here.  Hm.   Are we free to believe what we want for good or ill?  Yep.  That tells me that we have been given autonomy of thought and will along with the authority to act.  The early church were considered radical because they recognized a Higher Authority than the government and would not bow to Rome if there was a conflict between the two structures.  That was why they were persecuted, not for believing in Christ but because they recognized and acted with the authority that we have been given.  They were willing to be the better way and walk in it regardless of the consequences.

Now, I have met Christians who believe that only Christians have this kind of authority.  I find no basis for this in scripture and in fact the way much of the world runs shows that this is not true.  I theorize that for far too long the church has avoided teaching the authority side of things because how can you control people who you have taught that they are truly free and powerful?  You can't.  The "Church as a Business" model will not function because there is no one "over" anyone else.  In the early days we see Paul taking the Corinthians on over this idea of equality when they started to break into factions, following different leaders.  It was a radical shift of how humans had structured themselves in community.   They preached and lived that all were equal despite the culture around them.  They didn't do it perfectly, and there are lots of letters grappling with that.  But they understood that they had the authority to choose and the responsibility to do the better thing.  They were still free to choose different.  And it looks to me that they understood that.

So, I guess I believe that this wondrous universe was set in motion and that we have been put here to live and enjoy and be caretakers of the place as far as we are able.  There are some things that we can do little about, and there are things that we have caused ourselves that have tragic and long-lasting consequences.  I think we have a tendency to take credit for any good that happens, and then shove the "credit" for the bad onto a God that didn't step in and save us from the evil.  Kind of like how the banks loved to play the market when they were "winning" and how it became the "responsibility" of the Government (everyone else) to bail them out when the crash happened.  Like privatizing the profit from an industry and socializing the clean-up costs to everyone.

Stephen (in the interview) asked about bone cancer in children.  Good question.  Is it possible that we have not been careful with our food supply and chemical industry and have actually caused this jump in cancer rates?  We know now that researchers have often "adjusted" data to fit their curves and theories for years, so how are we to tell what actually is happening?  Maybe the same thing, maybe not.  Am I being heretical to say that God has left us to look after things and carry on?  I don't think so.  Are Christians giving support to the families of these children, making sure they do not lack for treatment and living funds?  Are we there beside them with simple human contact for encouragement and mourning with them when needed?   I believe that there are definite evil things that happen in this world, and I believe that we have a responsibility to oppose them.  I do not think we will always be given the reason as to why they are happening, and we have to admit that we don't know and not make up trite off-handed remarks as an answer to make us feel better.  I don't know how to oppose cancer in anyone, but if we found out that one of our major industries was the cause of it I believe we would have to lobby for its abolishment.  Things like that need to be shut down immediately (in my opinion) regardless of the "cost" in numbers in a bank somewhere or "jobs".  I would have to stop buying/using the products.  Do whatever I can to stop it.

Well, that was a bit of a rant.  I think that the struggles that my grandfather had were drifting around in my mind.  I don't know if he ever worked out his questions.

I hope so.




No comments:

Post a Comment